At A Glance
- CFO, Executive Director, Board of Directors
- Strategic planning
- Complex transactions and contracts
- Relationship management
- Creation of accounting and reporting systems
- Financial analysis
- Staff management and development
- Business structuring
- Budget and cash flow management
- Long-term planning
- Complex legal structures
- Industries: real estate, non-profits, professional services, technology, venture capital
Key Leadership Accomplishments
- Managed rapid growth of start-up firm including development of all systems and facilities and oversight of tenant improvement construction project
- Oversaw development of ownership structure including tax and legal planning and start-up for expansion of international business
- Identified and successfully serviced niche markets during economic downturn
Valerie Margulis has over 30 years of experience serving in financial and operations management roles for organizations in industries such as commercial real estate development and professional services.
Since starting her career as a CPA in a large international accounting firm, Valerie held financial leadership roles in many of the region’s prominent real estate firms. Her experience includes work as a board member, consultant, entrepreneur and CFO. She was the director of real estate finance at Vulcan and vice president of finance and administration, as well as a board member, at Wright Runstad. She co-founded The Seneca Group, a firm that provides comprehensive real estate advisory, development and management services for public and private sector clients throughout the Northwest. As CFO for Stellar International, she helped establish real estate development businesses in Stockholm and Warsaw. She has done significant real estate financial work for the City of Seattle, Providence Health and Services, and Swedish Medical Center, has worked as interim CFO for several companies and was the executive director of Pacifica Law Group for three years. She is skilled as steering strategic vision across disciplines in a variety of settings from venture capital to non-profits. A strategic problem-solver, she is focused on the impact of finance and operations on the organization’s mission and the strategic value of good management and processes.
Valerie holds a bachelor of arts in French from the University of Washington with additional studies in accounting.