At a Glance
- VP, Strategy Planning and Corporate Development
- Senior Manager, Global consulting firm
- Board member
- Strategic, financial and tactical planning
- Development of new business ventures
- Culture, strategy change and diversification of legacy organizations
- Leadership of large, complex organization change projects and programs
Key Leadership Accomplishments
- Developed planning approaches incorporating “burning platforms” to drive strategic changes for markets and competition, organizational capability, leadership development, customer-oriented Design Thinking, and Lean Startup-inspired experimentation for a $1B+ healthcare organization
- Led the ideation, planning and development process for a $35 million investment in two venture funds targeting early stage oral health startups
- Developed strategy and implementation of responses to the legal ramifications of the Affordable Care Act (ACA)
- Supported client’s planning and negotiation for the consolidation of finance functions of four large health insurance companies. Supervised the integration of organization, policy, process and systems.
Tom Gates has 25 years of experience leading strategy, business development and major organizational change. He has worked in senior positions at global consulting firms, served in corporate leadership roles and has experience in multiple industries, particularly in healthcare. As a consultant, Tom built strong advisory relationships with senior executives on the client side, leading delivery of enterprise-level, sensitive plans and implementations. After leaving consulting, Tom led strategy and financial planning for multiple new endeavors, including corporate venture funds and large projects. Tom specializes in helping boards, CEOs, leaders and staff build a holistic understanding and a process for change – from vision and mission to tactical project discipline and implementation: connecting strategy to true customer needs, confronting tough realities, and maximizing great ideas, while effectively balancing cost, risk, and effort.
Tom has a BA from Pomona College and an MBA in strategy and finance from the University of Washington. He is also a graduate of Seattle University’s Executive Leadership Program.