At A Glance
- CIO, CTO, SVP roles -- all technology-centric
- Designing and building effective and efficient technology organizations
- Developing and implementing strategies leveraging technology that support business objectives and strategies
- Designing and implementing emerging analytics capabilities (AI, NLP, etc.)
- Assessing, planning, and executing pre- and post- M&A integration plans
Key Leadership Accomplishments
- Built the technology function and organization from scratch as CIO at Plaza Home Mortgage Bank, Long Beach Bank, and Sameday.com, enabling and supporting nationwide growth and with growth rates at all companies exceeding 100 percent annually, driving mortgage loan application processing and funding of over $1 billion per month each.
- Led a business process re-engineering effort as SVP at Citibank in the mortgage business that ultimately saved over $50 million per year in direct costs.
- Led, organized, designed, and built a web-based supply chain and fulfillment platform that enabled a multi-tenancy e-retailer ecosystem that pre-dated the Amazon model by five years as CIO/CTO at Sameday.com.
- As CIO at Talleyrand Capital, led, organized, designed, and built the firm’s underlying analytics, accounting, reporting and reconciliation systems to support all the firm’s operations.
Herb Kummer has 25 years of experience serving in technology executive and strategy roles for organizations in the financial services (banking, mortgage, asset management and insurance) industry. Additionally, he has more than 10 years in leadership roles for top-tier strategy consulting firms, where he advises companies in numerous industries on how to better leverage technology to accomplish business objectives. Herb was CIO for Long Beach Mortgage Bank (rebranded to Ameriquest as it grew into the largest non-conforming mortgage originator in the U.S.), CIO at Plaza Home Mortgage Bank and SVP of analytics and strategic technology at Citibank. He also was co-founder and managing general partner of Talleyrand Capital Management, an equity-based hedge fund that returned an average of 18 percent per annum to investors, as well as CTO for Sameday.com, an internet-based logistics and supply chain fulfillment company for e-commerce vendors that was ultimately sold to Ryder Systems.
As a Principal at Boston Consulting Group and Partner at Accenture, Herb led projects with Fortune 500 clients across multiple industries where technology strategy and execution were critical contributors to business performance. He has developed particular expertise in technology and business strategy to enhance business performance, IT organizational effectiveness, business process improvement and re-engineering, software engineering utilizing SDLC and Agile methodologies, supply chain dynamics, analytics, artificial intelligence, data management and financial modeling. Herb holds a BS in electrical engineering and computer science from MIT, and an MBA in finance from Stanford University.