At A Glance
- CFO, VP of Finance, Corporate Controller
- Business planning, strategy and tactics
- Developing a broad range of financial reporting and analyses to support strategic decision-making
- Managing optimal financing strategies
- Correcting process, system and internal control deficiencies
- Building and scaling financial teams
- Working with senior management, boards, lenders, and investors
Key Leadership Accomplishments
- At a $160 million distribution company, Sean reversed sales and gross margin decline through several asset acquisitions, renegotiation of shipping contracts, and improved inventory ordering practices. He steered the company out of loan default with a large national bank and then refinanced debt with a regional bank on more favorable terms.
- Sean also restructured the accounting team and processes at a $600 million retail company, prepared the rollout of two new sales channels, and provided financial support for negotiations on a new supply contract resulting in $14 million of savings. He led a Cost Segregation Study to recapture depreciation on past store builds that also resulted in $800,000 of tax savings.
- Additionally, he led a $1.5 billion retailer out of loan forbearance and renegotiated the debt structure, cashed out preferred shareholders, and paid off the CEO/Founder’s sub-debt faster by freeing up cash through tighter working capital management. His detailed review of the company’s prior financial statements and subsequent correcting adjustments resulted in a $5.5 million tax refund. He was also instrumental in setting up an enterprise shared services group for all back-office functions, saving millions of dollars; rolling out a new commercial electronics installation business; and developing a data and business intelligence tool that led to a reduction in identity fraud in mobile phone sales and better store margins.
Sean is an operationally focused finance leader with over 20 years of experience, primarily in retail, consumer goods, and distribution. Recently he was the CFO at a beer, wine and liquor distributor operating in multiple states. Sean has worked on a variety of matters including debt and equity financing, M&A, turnarounds, growth plans, cost control, ERP systems, SEC filings, SOX implementations and restructurings. He started his career at Moss Adams in Seattle auditing both privately and publicly held companies.
Sean earned a BA in Accounting from Western Washington University and holds a CPA license in the state of Washington.