At A Glance
- Dr. Burki is an experienced senior HR executive, having led major HR and business transformations in different industry verticals including financial institutions, biomedical, non-profit, transportation, defense contracting, and R&D
- She began her career with Citigroup abroad in the emerging markets and then worked in New York and Ft. Lauderdale, respectively, as Vice President of employee development and training. She has also held several executive level positions including Senior Vice President, Head of Retail Performance and Development for National City Bank in Cleveland; and Chief Learning and OD Officer and HR Strategist at Ameriprise Financial. Later she joined Biomedical Services at the American Red Cross based in Washington, D.C., as Head of HR. In this function, she had responsibility for talent acquisition, labor and employee relations, talent management, executive development, compensation and benefits, HR policies and procedures, and change management. She was also the Senior Vice President of HR Strategy and Centers of Excellence with Amtrak. She was the Senior Vice President and Chief Human Resource Officer at Battelle and also Deputy Director of Total Rewards & Global Mobility at the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation in Seattle, WA. Most recently, she was the Global Vice President of HR at BitTitan, a start-up IT service firm.
- Uzma is the author of “When Talent Goes Global: What CEOs, Boards and Management Teams Must Learn and Do to Win With A Diverse Global Workforce,” which has been a part of the undergraduate curricula at George Mason University. Uzma is also a faculty member at the University of Southern California, and is multilingual.
Key Leadership Accomplishments
- Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation global mobility process and employee experience alignment, which reduced the cycle time to move talent, established SLAs with the relocation agencies, and improved time to full productivity by 42 percent
- Amtrak enterprise-wide transformation, process improvement, and change management, driving the culture towards improved business results and accountability for 21, 000 employees
- Implemented SaaS-based success factors HCM system for 21,000 employees. The implementation was completed in a record time of 15 months. The new processes and HCM system led to best-in-class recruitment, retention, performance, talent and governance strategies.
- Established leadership and organizational development practices for Citibank, and National City Bank (now PNC) covering national and international markets
Dr. Burki has more than 25 years of experience serving in human resources roles for organizations in the financial, transportation, defense contracting, nonprofit, and philanthropic industries. She holds a PhD in Human Development and Organizational Systems from the Fielding Graduate University and is SHRM, DDI Master Facilitator, ProSci (ADKAR), Change Management and Six-Sigma certified. Dr. Burki also holds Master’s degrees from Columbia University and Kansas State, and a MALD from The Fletcher School of Law and Diplomacy at Tufts University.